Search engine optimization aka SEO, is the process of gaining traction from free or organic search results from search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo. When you enter a term in the search bar, these engines rank your results based on what it considers to be most relevant to your search inquiry.
No payment is involved. These results are organic.
New to SEO?
Search engines are like librarians. They have billions of “books” and people depend on them to find the content they need. Search engines have a system index and collect information about every page on the web. Each search engine has an algorithm to analyze that data and create usable search results. Higher rankings allow more people to find you. The key to higher rankings is making sure your website has the necessary ingredients need to index your pages. This is called Search Engine Optimization. SEO is about making sure your website that has great content that is supported by the ingredients that search engines need to find and index your site.
SEO Success Factors
The algorithm that search engines use is very complicated, but there is a science to it. Use the following to create combinations that reward your pages and ensure your content is gaining traction.
On Page SEO
- Quality – Provide valuable content on your pages.
- Research – Make sure you understand the keywords people are using to find your company. Taking the time to research keywords and terms specific to your brand’s industry and relevant location is one of the best ways to generate leads. Build a keyword database off your research and create blog and social content to specifically target those keywords.
- Words – You must be using the appropriate keywords you hope your target market is using to find your content.
- Fresh – Your content must be up to date and address recent issues and questions. Your reputation matters. A site with fresh, engaging content with a growing number of links will increase your rankings.
- Vertical – Include images, links, and videos in your content.
- Answers – Provide value to prospects by answering their concerns.a
- Crawl – Search engines should be able to easily crawl your content and grab important content.
- Duplicate – Make sure your content is not duplicating content.
- Mobile – Is your content mobile friendly and responsive? Aside from the SEO benefits, creating a responsive design makes your site more fluid and user-friendly. In fact, recent reports indicate that 80 % of your visitors are viewing your website from a mobile device. Making sure your website is mobile friendly is more important now than ever as Google recently announced an update. This new update means that if your website is not mobile, Google will penalize your site and it will hurt your search rankings. The whole purpose of the update is to help users find it easier to get relevant, high quality search results that are optimized for their devices.
- Speed- It is important your website loads quickly. Check out Hubspot’s website grader to receive a free website audit.
- URLs – Your urls should include the keyword or contain meaningful page topics.
- HTTPs – Use a secure connection for visitors.
- Cloaking – Are you showing search engines different pages than users?
- Titles – Use title tags and H1 tags to show search engines relevant topics. Engines pay more attention to titles and give them more weight.
- Description – Use meta descriptions and description tags to describe what the content has to offer.
- Structure – Your content should have a common structure/theme to enhance listings.
- Headers – H1, H2, etc… tags are imperative to use for ranking. Include your target keyword in your headers and subheaders.
- Stuffing – Continuously use the keyword(s) throughout your content.
- Intuitive – Make sure your design or color scheme on the page is not hiding any keywords you want to be found for.
- Images – Include alt text with all images to help search engines prioritize information.
- Links – Include internal and external links. Link to relevant information or internal pages. Links are basically recommendations. A page with multiple links, increases rankings. These links need to be quality. Bogus or fake links does not help. Focus on quality over quantity.
How To Do SEO
Follow these guidelines below in order to make sure your website is SEO optimized:
- Interview your buyers – use interviews to gain insight to what your target market is saying and searching about your product.
- Blog consistently
- Reach out to influencers to promote your page.
- Analyze, and refine your strategy.
Congrats! By understanding and catching a vision for the importance of SEO, you are on the path to becoming an awesome modern day marketer. That’s the magic of content marketing and SEO: it genuinely carries the power as a marketing concept to set your company up for the next David vs. Goliath case study. So, you’re half way to disrupting your market.